Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Irrigating and Canning















Irrigating and canning are two activities in which my parents are avid participators. I thought I would not do much of either one. Turns out I got two ear infections last week, and my ears have to be irrigated with vinegar and water twice a day. The good news is the irrigating coupled with antibiotics is actually working! The bad news is I smell like vinegar. As far as the canning...my friend Natalie talked me into buying Utah peaches from "The Fruit Sisters" (can it get any fruitier than that name?) and canning them. We set out Saturday morning to find jars, which you would think would not be that difficult in this mecca of LDS people. After a couple of hours and several grocery stores/Walmarts later, we found our jars. Yahoo! We set to work canning, and after several hours (and a nice lunch break thanks to Sam and Tyler), we had some beautiful jars of peaches to show for it. They are still on my counter because I think they look nice, and I want to be reminded of our accomplishment. I didn't remember much from canning sessions with Mom, but I am glad I could call her for advice. We only had one casualty - a jar I broke because I didn't follow instructions exactly.

P.S. This is really Heather posting even though it says Sam.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Very lovely. We're so proud you haven't forgotten your roots even if you have converted to being a city girl...:)

natalie Simmons said...

I am glad we did it, although that is not the greatest pic of me, YIKES!!! thanks for spending your saturday canning with me.

mom said...

Oh - the peaches look so pretty. You two did a great job. Did you ever think you would be so domestic? I'm glad the ear infection is better. Who would have thought of vinegar? Have you and Sam decided if you are going anywhere for fall break? By the way - I love the blog!

Katlyn Papa said...

Those peaches look yummy! I happen to have a large box of Utah peaches with my name on them in my garage, and am hoping to accomplish that task after 2 soccer games today! I have to call my mom every year to make sure that I'm doing it right. I for one should have paid more attention all those years that she canned! Your blog is so cute!
Leslie

Mandy said...

Wow! I have always wanted to learn to can. Your peaches look beautiful!