Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I Don't Accept...

So today was a half-day (for the students) at school. I teach piano lessons after school, and as I showed up to teach, I could tell the kids were not happy to see me. I started with the youngest, an 8-year old boy. He SUFFERED through a half-hour lesson, sulking and whining the entire time. I was brutal, as only teaching 16 year-olds for 7 years can make a person. I made him play one song about 15 times, until he could play it correctly. At the end I checked his theory. He had to correct several mistakes, and by this time he was boiling mad at me. He scribbled his answers, and I told him I didn't accept handwriting I couldn't read. He fired back, "I don't accept you ruining my day!" If it wouldn't have made me just a bit upset to be talked to like that by an 8-year-old, I would have burst out laughing. Apparently if he didn't have piano lessons, he could have gone ice-skating this afternoon. So today another kid had another ruined day because of a piano lesson. And maybe someday he will be grateful.

2 comments:

justin and sherrie said...

I feel the boy's pain. I vividly remember the "ultimate fight #1" with mom one Monday morning, sulking all day at school wondering how I could get out of piano lessons, and Jordan Thompson talking me in to "just not going." So I rode my bike to his house that afternoon instead of Aunt Pam's. "Ultimate Fight #2" ensued the minute I walked in our front door. Deep down I'm glad that dad talked me into sticking with it, but will I have the patience to fight with my boys and make them do it? Only time will tell.

Lissa said...

Hard as it may be to believe I am taking piano lessons now, with my eight year old son! So I get double. Sometimes I have a hard time wanting to go, and I have to listen to him complain. We both always like it once we're there though. I bet your a great piano teacher and kids need to learn priorities. I love your blog. Keep up the good work. I need exciting things to read.